All of us want to be happy and to experience joy in our lives. It is our natural state of being and of course it feels far better than the alternative. I’m sure we can all testify to that. It may come as a shock but it takes work to become joyful. It is a practice like any another.
For instance, if you were looking to increase your fitness you may join the gym for regular exercise until this becomes your normal way of life. Or perhaps you want to learn to drive so you take up driving lessons. Then you pass your test and navigate on the roads that may have once been unfamiliar to you as a passenger. Maybe you want to learn to cook or speak a new language so you seek teachers with the right knowledge to help you in your new skill.
Where there is a will there is always a way.
Sometimes you may wake up feeling joyful for no apparent reason. Those moments are to be cherished and I love it when that happens. For those other moments where you may not feel good or the joy seems to have left, there are ways back to your true nature. Be confident in that if nothing else.
Here’s a few tips for those other moments:
- Take time out in your day, even if its only for 5 minutes. Find a gap in your day to be with yourself and listen to your soul’s calling. Do something for you. It is time well spent. Remember – you deserve your own time and attention.
- Do nothing… Seriously. There is an art to doing nothing. In that quiet space you may get a lightbulb moment and find answers to the questions you’ve been asking yourself. Life can get us into the trap of keeping busy all of the time so beware of this. Allow yourself the gift of doing nothing.
- Spend time with your friends and family. Our need for connection is biological and natural. Let’s face it, life without other people in it can be a lonely place so get out there and have a good natter with the people you love and who loves you back.
- Find a hobby or interest that is fun and nourishing to your being. This could be joining a class or taking up a new sport that is local to you. It is also a great way to meet new people of like mind.
- Be grateful. Gratitude is a topic within itself. When life doesn’t go your way, finding things we are grateful for gives us a different perspective to what we once thought.
There you have it. Let joy be your primary state and may this practice bring you all the happiness in the world.
Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings.”